Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Artificer Coffee Bar and Roastery, Surry Hills

Yep, I'm a self-confessed coffee addict and geek. In spite of my existing preferred blends and roasters, I'm always on the look out for new brews in town. I've been following Shoji and Dan's work for a while now. Soon as I heard that two of Sydney's award winning SMH Good Cafe Guide best baristas (Shoji 2012 and Dan 2013) were about to open their new joint, I was so stoked!
Shoji




Just a few days before Christmas 2014, Artificer Specialty Coffee Bar and Roasters officially opened it's doors in Bourke Street, Surry Hills. They went with the minimalist-style fit out and they serve "coffee only" in the premises. The blends and single origins are roasted by the dynamic duo and cold brews from Salvage are also available. Equipped with a sleek Synesso machine, an EK43 grinder, a drip coffee brewers for batch, and pour over manual filters with a badass drip stand, there is no doubt they are all about that serious coffee biz.
Manual filter (pour over)
Kenya Muwa
I opted for a Kenya Muwa on manual filter pour over ($6) as it's an excellent season for Kenya coffee at the moment. It was light and juicy. Once it cools down the sweetness and notes of stonefruits come through more with nice acidity. The flavours linger a bit with every sip.
Piccolo latte
I can't leave without trying their house blend right? I had it as a piccolo latte ($3.80) and wow! I was very impressed with every sip. The sweet and creamy Jersey cow milk carried the amazing fruity notes nicely. The acidity was vibrant and the floral notes at the end caressed my palate. It was one of the best piccolo lattes I've had. If you like fruity coffees like I do, then this bad boy is for you!

You can only expect greatness from the Artificer boys. Every cup I've had was excellent and I will surely come back for more!

Artificer Coffee Bar and Roastery
546 Bourke Street
Surry Hills NSW

Opening hours:
Tuesday to Saturday 7am - 2pm

Sunday 8am - 2pm

4 comments:

  1. Best coffee in Sydney! I would be coming here everyday if it weren't so out of the way for me. The Ethipoia Kolowa filter is awesome. Love the floral, fruity and spicy notes. And I totally agree with your comments about the piccolo latte.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow such nice crockery and love the design of those cushion seats! don't know too much about coffee so i'll take your word on how awesome it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that corner looks so nice.
    I feel like this would be a very nice place to just come and sit, very comforting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like such a cool spot. And so exciting to see Shoji and Dan in a new venture together.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what ya think, aight! Would love to hear from ya.