Friday, April 20, 2012

Black Coffee Shop Pop-up event at the Outré Gallery, Surry Hills

It’s been a while since I’ve had a decent cup of black coffee. Black coffee freshly extracted from real coffee beans in particular. I normally prefer espresso-based drinks with milk and the occasional shots of caramel.  But my visit to the Black Coffee Shop pop-up launch at the Outré Gallery’s shop window gave me a whole new perspective and experience.

Thanks to an invite from Lisa Pham (the organiser and PR of the event), a newfound love for black coffee has sparked within me. The Black Coffee Shop is Melbourne born and based. Their mission is very straightforward and that is to serve freshly brewed black coffee wherever and whenever possible. No sugar and no milk. 













The apparatuses they used were insanely cool! The black coffee produced by different apparatuses such as an aeropress and pour-over was awesome! The taste and body of black coffee varied depending on the method used. I was able to sample black coffee extracted from boa vista beans (by Market Lane) using an aeropress. The coffee came out very clean and strong.

The creation of fine black coffee was carried out with calculation and precision. The approach was almost scientific. To get the full experience, you can still visit the Black Coffee Shop crew at the Outré Gallery on Crown Street, Surry Hills between 21 April to 22 April 2012.

Visit their website: http://blackcoffeeshop.tumblr.com/ and follow them on Twitter @Blackcoffeeshop

Outre Gallery
285A Crown Street
Surry Hills NSW 2012

5 comments:

  1. great photos Raff!

    was supposed to drop by too but couldnt :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there on Thursday night but didn't the coffee as I knew it'd keep me awake. Went back today and tried some - really liked it. Never drunk black coffee before and was pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. reminds me of myself when i have time at home to make my coffee without using my espresso machine :) though i need to get one of those round beakers, looks so cool :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a funky way of making coffee - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this a place you can visit and have coffee? OMG so interested in going!!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what ya think, aight! Would love to hear from ya.